Need a problem resolved such as Potholes on roadways in Wayne County?

Van Buren Township FAQ COVID-19 Period, Closures & Reopening

COVID-19 Period Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is the Township Open?
A: Effective Monday, July 13, Township Offices will be open to the public from 10 am – 3 pm Monday-Friday. Online and over the phone business is available before and after open hours. We’re still encouraging residents to do business remotely and make an appointment with the Department they wish to visit. Please note, Township offices will be CLOSED on Tuesday, August 4, 2020 to accommodate polling precincts 3 & 4 and election voters.  The Van Buren Township Senior Center, Parks & Recreation Department & the BAM: Belleville Area Museum will remain closed until further notice. Police, Fire & Dispatch remain open 24/7. For a list of Department contact information please visit and click on the Departments tab. New procedures have been put in place when entering Township Hall to ensure the safety of our staff and residents. Upon arrival, all visitors must wear a mask inside the building, have their temperature recorded (a contactless process with an Infrared Thermometer) and will be asked to take a confidential screening questionnaire.

Q: Are Van Buren Township Parks open?
A: Van Buren Park, Quirk Park, French Landing Park & Riggs Park will reopen on Saturday, June 27, 2020. Please note, under the Governor’s Executive Order, any outdoor park amenities where proper social distancing can’t be maintained will remain closed. For example, the Haggerty Sub Park & Van Buren Park Beach will remain closed until further notice. All park patrons are asked to follow the CDC & State’s social distancing guidelines and practice proper hygiene when entering any Van Buren Township Parks to help limit the spread of COVID-19.

All play structures will reopen June 22, with the exception of Haggerty Sub. All play structures will not be sanitized and please follow the social distancing guidelines when using the amenities.

Van Buren Park’s Front Loop restrooms will open on June 22. However, the restrooms in the Back Loop will remain closed until future notice. The Park Beach will remain closed for the remainder of the Summer due to the size of the beach and not being able to properly social distance.

The Quirk Park Splash Pad is now CLOSED for the season. The Splash Pad is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., 7 days a week.

Riggs & French Landing Park restrooms will remain closed until further notice.

All Pavilion rentals have been canceled and refunds will be mailed to those who have already paid. Van Buren Parks & Recreation offices will remain closed to the public until further notice. All Parks & Rec. classes, events and activities have been canceled for the Summer. Refunds will be mailed out to participants who paid for classes.

For more information visit: Those who had been enrolled in classes, summer camps and pavilion rentals (when the building closed in March) will be issued a full refund. To get your refund please call 734.699.8926.

Q: What about Meals on Wheels or Senior Center Transportation Programs, are they running?
A: The Senior Center will continue to distributed Focus: HOPE & TEFAP food programs, and Wayne County will continue to distribute Meals on Wheels. A new voice tech wellness greeting was sent to all members on Thursday, May 21, 2020. To join the voice tech list and stay up to date on Senior Center information email The Senior Center transportation program has suspended service until further notice. Residents needing transportation to medical appointments or shopping/pharmacy visits during this time are being referred to The Area Agency On Aging 1-C, (734) 722-2830, or by dialing 2-1-1 United Way for Southeastern Michigan.

Q: I need a building permit and/or inspection, is that possible?
Yes, The majority of building permit and inspection activities can be completed remotely in coordination with the Building, Planning and Economic Development Department. For more information visit: 

Q: How do I drop off a Property Transfer if the Township is closed?
A: Property Transfer Affidavits, Principal Residence Exemption and all other assessing forms designated for the Assessing Office should be deposited in the drop box outside of Township Hall.

Q: How do I pay my water bill or taxes?
A: We’re encouraging residents to pay taxes and water bills online or use the Drop Box:
• Tax and utility payments via debit, credit card or Echeck at
• Sign up for automated debit for your utility bill payments with this form:
• Drop box in front of Township Hall – checked daily (checks only please)
• Drop box located in Public Safety Lobby – checked daily • Mail in personal checks and/or money orders to: 46425 Tyler Rd.
• Pay by phone (24/7): 866-296-7819 (Tax and Utility Payments)
• Pay by phone (live operator): 888.891.6064. Available M-F, 8am10pm EST
**Please note, when paying online you will be charged a processing fee.

Q: My dogs license expires May 31, how do I get a new one?
A: The Township is waiving all dog license late fees, asking residents to stay home, and purchase dog tags once the “Stay Home” order is lifted. Please keep the old license on your pet until you can purchase a new one. When Township Hall reopens, you can pick up dog licenses at the Treasury desk and will not be charged a late fee.

Q: Is trash, recycling, yard waste and bulk pick-up still operating?
A: Yes, trash and recycling have been operating as scheduled. Yard waste resumed the week of April 20 and bulk pick-up resumed the week of May 11. Waste Management crews are working as quickly as possible based on crew availability. If you have questions please call 734-699-8926.

Q: I need a landfill pass or a yard waste sticker, how can I get one?
A: Please call 734-699-8926, leave a detailed message including your name, address and phone number. A pass or sticker will be mailed to you or you can pick it up the next day at Township Hall.

Q: I want to make a public comment during a virtual Township Meeting, is that possible?
A: Yes, to make a public comment you must join the Zoom meeting. For a detailed list of instructions visit:

Q: I want to watch a virtual Township meeting and not make a public comment, please help?
A: Township meetings will stream LIVE on YouTube during the scheduled meeting time, visit: Replays can be found on the YouTube channel, as well as, on Comcast Channel 12 & AT&T Channel 99 at 6pm, daily.

Q: How can I request Police and Fire reports?
A: Please submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request available on the Township website: The FOIA request form can also be emailed and/or faxed to you directly by contacting the Records Office at (734) 699-8939 or by emailing Tina Harman at When sending email requests, please write FOIA Request in the subject line.

Q: How can I request copies of traffic reports?
A: Copies of traffic crash reports can be obtained on the CLEMIS website: You will need to know your report number in order to obtain a copy of the report. These reports can also be obtained by submitting a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request form. If you do not know your report number, please contact the Records Office at (734) 699- 8939.

Q: How do I request a background check?
A: Due to records window closure at this time, local background checks will not be done at the Van Buren Public Safety window. You can visit the State of Michigan website: to obtain an ICHAT background check through the State of Michigan.

Q: I need food or other assistance, where should I go?
A: The Township is committed to supporting our at-risk populations. Our website has a list of local resources available to assist our residents seeking food, shelter, utility assistance, mental health resources, un-employment information, small business loans, grants, and more. For more information visit

Q: Is it true all Township events, and the fireworks, have been canceled?
A: It is with heavy hearts that we say yes, it’s true. All Township events are canceled until further notice. This includes fireworks and all Summer Camps. The Summer Concert Series has also been postponed. The Parks & Rec. classes and activities have been postponed until further notice. Refunds will be issued for those who have registered for camp and classes. The Senior Center will continue with the emergency foods program such as Meals on Wheels, but will remain closed for all senior activities until further notice. For questions regarding the Senior Center please call 734-699-8918 and leave a message. For questions regarding the Parks Department call 734-699-8926 and leave a message.

Q: How many COVID-19 cases are in Van Buren Township?
A: Wayne County has created a COVID-19 Dashboard with important data on case numbers and deaths by age, gender and more. The Dashboard is updated daily. Visit the Wayne County COVID-19 Dashboard by clicking here. 

Q: How do I find information about what the State of Michigan is doing?
A: The State of Michigan’s website is the best place to find resources and Executive Orders. Visit:

Q: I want to vote Absentee, how can I do that?
A: If you would like to join the Absentee Voters List please contact the Clerk’s office by email, our preferred method, or call at 734.699.8909 to receive your application.

Q: Where can I find the Absentee Voter Ballot Application?
A: You can find them on our website here: or us these direct links. You can drop off Absentee Ballots & Applications in the Dropbox.

Q: Is the BAM: Belleville Area Museum open?
A: No, The BAM has been closed until further notice. All Museum questions should be directed to the Supervisor’s office. Please call 734.699.8910.