Need a problem resolved such as Potholes on roadways in Wayne County?

Van Buren Township Animal Control




Stay safe. Deer and auto collisions are a common occurrence in Michigan. According to the Michigan State Police there are 60,000 reported occurrences per year in the state. Know what to do before you are faced with a collision. Information is provided from the Michigan State Police.

Here are some tips to avoid a crash:

  • Stay aware, awake, and sober.
  • Vehicle-deer crashes occur year-round, but be especially alert in spring and fall
  • Signs are placed at known deer crossing areas to alert you of the possible presence of deer.
  • Deer are herd animals and frequently travel in single file. If you see one deer cross the road, chances are there are more waiting.
  • Be alert for deer, especially at dawn and dusk. If you see one, slow down.
  • Don’t rely on gimmicks, flashing your high-beam headlights or honking your horn to deter deer.

If a crash is unavoidable:

  • Don’t swerve. Brake firmly, hold onto the steering wheel, and bring your vehicle to a controlled stop.
  • Pull off the road, turn on your emergency flashers, and be cautious of other traffic if exit your vehicle.
  • Report the crash to the nearest police agency and your insurance company.

Remember to buckle up, as seat belts are motorists’ best defense in the event of a crash.

If you have a collision with a deer call 911

Van Buren Township Animal Control does not remove animal carcasses from the roadway. If you would like to report an animal that needs to be removed contact Wayne County Road Commission Dead Animal Removal (734) 753-4477. The Department of Agriculture is available at (517) 373-1077

If you need more information on other animal issues within Van Buren Township or have questions about laws and regulations you may call Animal Control Officer Bob Queener at (734) 699-8900 X9225 or you may e-mail him at this link.

More information about animals and lost pets may be found at the following links:

 Feral cats are not picked up by Animal Control. This is considered a wild animal problem and should be handled through a wild animal removal service.