Description :JOB VACANCY
Classification: Regular, Full-time
BCBS and BCN
Life Insurance $50,000
STDI & LTDI
Education Tuition Assistant Plan
Defined Contribution with a 12% Township Contribution HCSP of $2500 annually after a full year of employment
Working under the general supervision of the Township Supervisor, the Communications Specialist develops and edits material that promote a positive public image of Van Buren Charter Township to various audiences. This position collaborates with others in the Township to achieve brand consistency, content and message coordination and the highest standards for internal and external social media communications and drafting content for press releases.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
An employee in this position may be called upon to perform any or all of the following essential job functions, duties and responsibilities. These examples are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by an employee assigned this classification and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed in this position.
- Develops constructive and cooperative working relationships with representatives of community, officials and Directors.
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
- Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish work for special community relation events.
- Coordinate activities with Township departments and other organizations as needed.
- Responsible for the broadcast of regular meetings through GATV and other networks; ensures all program content remains current.
- Plan or direct development or communication of programs to maintain favorable public perceptions of the Township’s accomplishments and agenda.
- Study trend objectives, promotional policies or needs of the Township to develop public relations strategies that will influence and promotes ideas and services.
- Prepare or edit Township publications, newsletters and reports for public distribution.
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems accordingly.
- Prepares reports as directed by Township Supervisor and provides professional advice to Supervisor, Directors and staff as it relates to public relation communications.
- Provide information to Officials, Directors and subordinates by telephone, in written form, email or in person.
- Develops the Townships Social Media accounts, strategies, and assessments and keeps apprised of market trends related to municipal government. Continuously keeping up to date technically and applying new knowledge as it relates to municipal government.
- Manage and upload video/image content from Township and community events.
- Assists in coordination of intern and contracted workers schedule and training activities.
- Manages all video production shooting and editing projects for the Township.
- Follows Township purchasing policy for supplies and materials, maintains equipment inventory and assists in Capital Improvement Planning (CIP).
- Schedules/Handles vendors for all department equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Assists in the artistic contributions of development and design with new projects.
- Monitor annual budget and assist in fiscal year budget preparation.
- Maintains records in accordance with the Townships public records retention policy and Michigan’s Freedom of Information act (FOIA).
- Responsible for maintaining equipment and contracts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions, duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Bachelors of Arts degree with a preferred major in Communication, Digital Marketing, Graphic Design, Public Relations, journalism, English, business or related field preferred.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meanings and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office Suites.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform entries into multiple BS&A programs.
- Ability to compose and format letters and correspondence internally and externally.
- Ability to work with a variety of technologies including graphics and photo imaging, video creation and editing, web page creation, editing and platform software, general office equipment and computers.
- Excellent customer services and communications skills, both verbal and written. Knowledge and skill set to communicate through all social media and cable outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, snapchat, etc.
- Excellent time management, active listening and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
Work Hours and Environment, Physical Requirements and Additional Information
Standard office hours/days are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm Mon-Fri. working hours/days may vary according to the needs of the Township. Work is primarily performed indoors with some outdoor activities.
Physical Abilities and Work Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment with some travel to different sites; when visiting parks or construction sites the incumbent may be required to walk on uneven and slippery surfaces, be exposed to all weather conditions, dust and pollen, and mechanical hazards such as construction equipment; incumbents may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends and may be required to travel outside Township boundaries to attend meetings.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to travel to other locations using various modes of private and commercial transportation; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction. Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Application Deadlines: Open Until Filled
You are invited to apply for these positions by sending a current resume to
The Charter Township of Van Buren is an equal opportunity employer.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled