Need a problem resolved such as Potholes on roadways in Wayne County?

Community Resource Guide

Federal Commodities Surplus Food Program

  • Where can I find information on the Federal Commodities program?
    • The September Days Senior Center can provide the requirements to participate in this program (734) 699-8918.

Focus Hope

  • Where can I find information on the Focus: Hope program?
  • The September Days Senior Center can provide the requirements to participate in this program (734) 699-8918.


  • Where can I obtain my deed?

Voting & Election

  • How do I become a registered voter?
    • Must be 18 years of age, a U.S. Citizen and a resident of the township for at least 30 days prior to the date of the election.
  • How do I obtain an absentee voter’s ballot?
    • By completing an application to obtain an AV ballot including your reason for seeking the AV ballot and including your signature. The last day in which to obtain an AV ballot is 4:00 p.m. on the day before the election and in this case, the AV ballot must be voted in the Clerk’s Office.
  • How do I get placed on a permanent absentee voter list?
    • By filling out a completed request to be placed on permanent absentee voter list to receive an absentee ballot for future elections.

Public Documents

  • How do I obtain a copy of the Township Board minutes?
    • All requests for copies of township records are processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). The purpose for this is twofold: to ensure all requests are properly accounted for and to ensure the policy regarding the release of documents is enforced uniformly and in accordance with law. Minutes are also posted on the website. Requests should be made in writing; a form is available in the Clerk's Office for this purpose. Please be specific about the documents you are seeking so that your request may be processed in a timely and efficient manner. The FOIA provides for fees to be assessed in processing requests including per page photocopying costs and staff time in researching township records. In some cases, a deposit may be required prior to the start of document compilation. FOIA requests must be processed within five (5) business days from receipt of the request, however, the FOIA does permit for extensions in responding based upon the nature of the request (i.e. large volume of material, etc.). Further, the FOIA provides for the exemption of some documents from being released to the public. Once the documents you have requested are available, you will be notified that your request has been processed and the status of the documents requested.
  • How do I express my interest in serving on a township committee or commission?
    • Applications to serve on various township committees and commissions may be obtained from the Supervisor's Office.
Back to Top


  • How do I obtain a job application?
    • Township policy provides for applications for employment to be accepted only when there is an open position. Employment applications may be obtained from the Clerk's Office during regular business hours. For those seeking employment as a firefighter, dispatcher or police officer, applications may be obtained from the Department of Public Safety.
  • Where can I find employment notices?
    • The township utilizes a variety of sources when seeking qualified applicants to fill vacant positions. These include advertising in the local papers, placing job notices with area colleges and universities and placing ads in professional trade publications. You may also contact the Clerk's Office to obtain additional information on hiring information.


  • How do I obtain a job application?
    • Township policy provides for applications for employment to be accepted only when there is an open position. Employment applications may be obtained from the Human Resources Office during regular business hours. For those seeking employment as a firefighter, dispatcher or police officer, applications may be obtained from the Department of Public Safety.
  • Where can I find employment notices?
    • The township utilizes a variety of sources when seeking qualified applicants to fill vacant positions. These include advertising in the local papers, placing job notices with area colleges and universities and placing ads in professional trade publications. You may also contact the Human Resources Office to obtain additional information on hiring information.


  • Where can I find the township cemeteries?
    • Please visit our area map site to learn where the township’s four cemeteries, Denton, Otisville, Soop and Tyler, are located; or call the Clerk’s Office at (734) 699-8909 for more information.


  • Where can I find birth/death certificates?
    • The township does not maintain a database on birth or death certificates, however, you may be able to obtain this information by contacting Wayne County at (313) 224-5535.
  • Where can I find a copy of my marriage license?
    • If you were married in Wayne County, the County may be able to assist you. Please call (313) 224-5514 for more information.

Property Taxes

  • Where can I find information on property taxes?
    • The Treasurer’s Office can assist with questions regarding property taxes, special assessments and related matters. Tax information can also be found online, via the following link:Online Tax Data
  • What taxes can I expect to pay in Van Buren Township?
    • Tax Statements are sent out twice a year, July 1 and December 1. The July tax statement is 100% School Taxes., plus 100% of Wayne County Operating millage. The December Tax Statement is County and Township taxes. Click here for more information on Millage Rates and to estimate your tax bill on our Property Tax Table
  • What are the due dates for my property taxes?
    • The July Tax Statement is mailed July 1 and payable through September 14. The December Tax Statement is mailed December 1 and payable through February 14.
  • Will the due dates be extended?
    • Traditionally, the Van Buren Township Board have extended the due date on property taxes until the last business day of the month the taxes are due. Watch the Belleville Enterprise and the televised Board Meetings for more information.
  • Do you accept partial payments on tax bills?
    • Yes.
  • What happens if my tax bill is paid twice?
    • Michigan State law requires that when a duplicate payment is made the party who made the duplicate payment is to be refunded. The original payment can not be refunded.
  • What happens if I overpay or underpay my tax bill?
    • In the event of an overpayment, the tax bill will be processed for the base amount and the overage will be refunded to you. The process generally takes between one and two weeks. In the event of underpayment, the payment will be accepted and applied proportionately to each taxing authority.
  • Where can I make my payments?
    • The Treasurer's Office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30am until 4:00pm. Payments can be placed in our 24 hour drop box which is located in the Public Safety lobby, or in front of the main entrance. Checks and money orders only please.
  • Do you accept credit cards?
    • Credit card payments can be facilitated. In cooperation with Van Buren Township, Official Payments Corporation offers the opportunity to pay property taxes by the telephone or over the internet. Official Payments Corporation does charge a 3% convenience fee for this service. For more information, please call the Treasurer’s Office.
  • What happens if my payment is late?
    • Penalty and Interest will accrue on late payments. Please contact the Treasurer's Office staff at (734) 699-8903 for late payment information.
  • I've changed mortgage companies, do I need to notify you?
    • To ensure that we have the correct information, please call the Treasurer's Office at (734) 699-8903 if you have switched mortgage companies or discontinued using one. You can send your information through e-mail as well. Send your message to Please include your parcel number or address.
  • How do I make name and address changes?
    • For name and address changes, please contact the Treasurer's Office at (734) 699-8903. Or, send an e-mail to Please include your parcel number or address. You can also fill out the section on the back of your tax bill stub and return it to the Treasurer’s Office along with your payment.

Dog Licenses / Control

  • Does my dog need a license in Van Buren Township?
    • Michigan law requires that all dogs over the age of four months be licensed. Every dog at each residence must have a current township license, and must be renewed every year. All licenses expire on May 31st.
  • How much does a dog license cost?
    • Van Buren Township dog licenses are $5.00 if purchased before May 31st. Beginning June 1st, the price increases to $10.00. Senior citizens receive half priced licenses for their pets. New pets acquired after the June 1st deadline also receive discounted licenses. Please contact the Treasurer's Office for this information to (734) 699-8906.
  • What do I need to bring with me when I purchase my license?
    • Your dog's current rabies vaccination records are required when purchasing a license.
  • When do you begin licensing dogs?
    • We begin distributing dog licenses at the $5.00 rate April 1 through May 31st. Licenses can be purchased throughout the remainder of the year at the $10.00 rate.
  • Do you license cats or other animals?
    • Van Buren Township only licenses dogs.
  • Do you vaccinate dogs?
    • Van Buren Township does not vaccinate dogs. We do, however, sponsor a drive-through vaccination clinic each year in May. Vaccinations and licenses can be obtained at the annual event. Watch the Belleville Enterprise and the televised Board Meetings for more information on date, time and cost.
  • Does the Township Animal Control Official take care of all animals?
    • The Van Buren Township Animal Control Official only picks up dogs. If you have any other concerns with different types of animals you will need to contact animal services.
  • How do I report a stray dog?
    • Complaints of this nature may be directed to the Dog Warden by calling (734) 699-8900 or 8939 ext. 238 during regular business hours, or by calling the Public Safety Department at 699-8930. If you are calling to report an emergency situation involving an attack by a dog, or other animal, please call 9-1-1.
  • How many dogs can I have?
    • There is no limit on the amount of dogs, as long as each one has a current license. Common sense and neighborly courtesy dictates the amount you should have.
  • Can I remain anonymous if I file a cruelty/neglect complaint?
    • Yes. However, sometimes your testimony in court might be the deciding factor in proving guilt. All attempts will be made to keep you from testifying.

Building Permits

  • How do I obtain a building permit?
    • Building permits are processed through the Department of Developmental Services. Staff can assist you in determining the types of permits needed, provide information on the applicable ordinances and codes governing the project you are commencing and provide inspections to ensure your construction is in compliance with township ordinances and state and federal codes.
  • What information is needed for a building permit?
  • Two complete sets of plans for construction with dimensions drawn to scale.
  • Include a short written description of the project and include a materials list.
  • Show the location of the electrical outlets, smoke detectors, lighting/fan fixtures.
  • Include window sizes and identify the emergency escape and rescue openings.
  • Submit the floor plan.
    • A mortgage surveyor plot plan that includes:
    • The location of the project.
    • The dimensions of the project.
    • The distance from the property lines and the location of any easements.
If you should have any questions regarding your project, keep in mind that, checking with the building department ahead of time can reduce the chance of having to do costly repairs to bring the work in compliance with the applicable codes.
  • What type of project requires a permit?
  • Any project that will enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy use of a building or structure.
  • Any project to install, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
  • What type of work can I do without a permit?
  • A sidewalk or driveway that is not more than 30 inches above the adjacent grade
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work
  • A prefabricated swimming pool that is less than 24 inches deep
  • Swings and other playground equipment that are accessory to a one (1) or two (2) family dwelling
  • Emergency repairs may be performed, however the permit application must be submitted to the building department the next working business day.
    • Do I need a building permit for a fence?
      • A fence authorization form is required. This form is available at the Township Hall Building Department or may be downloaded from the forms section of this website. Items to be submitted with the authorization form are:
        • Mortgage survey, with the proposed location, type and height of fence indicated.
        • Where applicable, homeowners association approval letter.
    There is NO fee for this authorization. Please allow two (2) to four (4) days for approval.
    • How long does it take to process a building permit?
      • It will take up to ten (10) working days to have your building permit processed.
    • How much does a building permit cost?
      • Fees for permits are based upon the scope of working being done.
    • How deep do footings need to be for a deck?
      • Van Buren Township requires a 42 inch footing.

    Water & Sewer

    • How do I get connected to township water/sewer?
      • Contact the Water and Sewer Department by calling (734) 699-8925. Staff can provide you with information on taps, connections and billing.
    • How often do are water bills sent out?
      • The Township bills most customers on a quarterly basis.
    • Where can I pay my bill?
      • Payments can be mailed to : The Charter Township of Van Buren, 46425 Tyler Road, Van Buren Township, MI. 48111
      • They can be paid at the Treasurer's Office at the Municipal Center.
      • They can be put in the drop box in the lobby of the Public Safety.
      • Automatic withdrawals can be set up by calling (734) 699-8925.
      • Credit card payments can be facilitated via Point & Pay . In cooperation with Van Buren Township, Point & Pay offers the opportunity to pay your Utility Bill over the internet . For more information, please call the Treasurer’s Office.
    • If I have a question about my water bill, who do I call?
      • You can call the Water Department at (734) 699-8925 to get answers about your water bill.
      • You can visit the Water Department at 46425 Tyler Road, Monday through Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
    • Where does my drinking water come from?
      • The drinking water for Van Buren Township comes from the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) and is treated at their Southwest Drinking Water Plant before being transported to the Township. For more information about DWSD and where the Township water comes from, visit
    • How are water and sewer rates calculated?
      • Water and sewer rates are reviewed annually by department staff, the Township Water and Sewer Commission and the Township Board of Trustees. Rates are calculated to cover the cost of department staff wages and benefits, system operations and maintenance, operating supplies, utilities, equipment operation and maintenance, capital improvements to the systems and the cost to purchase water from DWSD and the treatment of wastewater at one of the four wastewater treatments plants that serve Van Buren Township.


    • Where can I find Van Buren Park?
      • The township's 101-acre park is located along South I-94 Service Drive near the Lakewood Shopping Center, just east of Rawsonville Road.
    • How do I get a season pass to Van Buren Park?
      • The Department of Community Services sells annual park passes to township and City of Belleville residents only. See the parks fee schedule.

    Programs & Events

    • How do I get a message placed on the Governmental Access Channel?
      • The Cable Department requests that all messages for Channel 12 be put in writing to ensure accuracy. A township policy governs the notices broadcast on Channel 12. Generally, messages must be of community interest and not for the purpose of soliciting money.
    • Where can I find the annual fireworks display?
      • Every year, the township hosts an annual fireworks display at the Beck Road ball diamonds. Beck Road is north of the North I-94 Service Drive, south of Tyler Road. This area is also known as the Quirk Subdivision with North Middle School only a few blocks away.
    • When is the Haunted Forest, the Marshmallow Drop, etc.?
      • All recreational activities hosted by the township are advertised in our Lake Ledger newsletter that is published quarterly. They are also noticed on VBTV Channel 12 and flyers are often distributed to area schools and within township hall. You can also obtain information on our many multi-age recreational activities by contacting the Department of Community Services at (734) 699-8921.

    Compost / Recycling / Waste Disposal

    • When is the road side pick-up of composting materials?
      • The Township contracts for curbside collection of compost materials commences with Waste Management, Inc. Curbside collection commences annually on the first full week of April and ends the last full week of November. Compost materials are collected on the same day as your rubbish. Visit the composting page for guidelines. The Environmental Office can provide information on composting by calling (734) 699-8913.
    • What are the guidelines for utilizing the Woodland Meadows landfill?
      • See this flyer for details.
    • What items can I recycle?
      • See this flyer for guidelines.
    • How can I dispose of tires?
      • See this flyer for details.
    • How may I dispose of oil and antifreeze?
    • How can I get an orange recycling bin?
      • Bins are available at the Township for $7.50.
    • I've just moved into a brand new home. How would I acquire the large toter on wheels?
      • Call (734)699-8926, residents of brand new homes receive their first toter free of charge (two (2) to three (3) weeks for delivery).
    • The wheels are broken on my toter, or my toter needs repair work, what do I do?
      • Call (734)699-8926 and ask to be put on the list for a repair (two (2) to three (3) weeks for delivery).
    • I don't have a toter. How should I set my trash out?
      • Trash can be set out in regular trash bags or any 32 gallon container or smaller.

    Museum & Library

    • Where can I find the township museum?
      • The Belleville Area Museum is located in the former Van Buren Township Hall. It is located at 405 Main Street in downtown Belleville.
    • Where can I find the Fred C. Fischer Library?
      • The library is at 167 Fourth Street near the Belleville Area Museum.


    • Where can I find information on services for veterans?
      • Veterans Affairs located in Detroit may be of help to you. They can be reached by calling (313) 224-5045.


    • What is the Open Meetings Act?
      • The Open Meetings Act (OMA) governs the method by which the public is informed of meetings to be held by various bodies including the Township Board and various commissions and committees. The OMA also governs posting requirements, items to be deliberated in a public forum and those matters that are exempt from public discussion. The Clerk's Office can assist you with any other questions you may have about the OMA.
    • What is Closed Session?
      • The Township Board of Trustees can go into a Closed Session for the purposes of deliberating upon matters that are exempt from public disclosure. Michigan law provides for those matters that are exempt from public deliberation, and they generally include discussing pending litigation, land acquisitions, and collective bargaining matters. The OMA sets forth certain requirements regarding the noticing of Closed Sessions and the records of such sessions.
    • What is the Freedom of Information Act?
    The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) governs the dissemination of documents to the public. A majority of the documents held at Township Hall are public in nature and can be released to anyone who requests them. The Clerk's Office handles FOIA requests.
    • What is a PRD, an R-1A, an M-1, etc.?
      • A Planned Residential Development (PRD) is a relatively new term being used to describe those developments that include green space and other amenities in exchange for relaxed zoning requirements (i.e. smaller lot size). R-1A and M-1 and other similar terms refer to the zoning of a particular area of land. In local government, you will find a multitude of acronyms used. Many refer to building and planning matters. Please contact either the Department of Developmental Services or the Clerk's Office for assistance in learning the definitions of these acronyms.

    Emergency Food Closet

  • Since 1983, the Emergency Food Closet, has been feeding the hungry in Sumpter, Belleville & Van Buren Township.
    • Located at First United Methodist Church at 417 Charles St. Belleville, MI. & open on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday from 10am - 1pm. Call 734.697.9288 for more information.
    • >Emergency Food Closet

  • Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources

    On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 Gov. Whitmer declared a state of emergency as the first case of coronavirus was confirmed in Michigan. Here is some information on how to slow the spread and stay safe: