Van Buren Township

Basement Flooding Claims


A recently enacted Michigan statute, Act 222 Public Acts of 2001*, clarifies municipal liability for sewer backups. A key provision of the statute requires that a person seeking compensation for property damage or physical injury must file a written claim within 45 days of the event.

If you experience an overflow or backup of a sewage disposal system or storm water system, you must file a written claim with the Van Buren Township Water Department, within 45 days after the overflow or backup was discovered. Notice must be mailed to Van Buren Township Water Department, 46425 Tyler Road, Van Buren, MI 48111. Failure to provide the required notice will prevent recovery of damages.

Contact the Van Buren Water Department at 734-699-8925 immediately upon discovery of an overflow or backup. Like you, the Water Department considers a sewer backup or basement flooding an emergency, and will respond to your call day or night, holidays and weekends.

*A copy of the full text of P.A. 222 of 2001 is available upon request by calling 734-699-8925.*