Tips for Hiring a Contractor
The Michigan Department of Consumer and Industry Services recommends:
- Checking that a contractor is licensed. Licensing can be verified by calling the Department of Consumer and Industry Services at (900) 555-8374, or checking the Web site:https://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/colaLicVerify/.
- Putting the contract and any changes in writing.
- Making sure a Notice of Commencement is filled out correctly and posted at the site.
- Getting a Notice of Furnishing from each person or company providing labor or materials.
- Demanding a sworn statement for any payment made to a contractor. Check the list of subcontractors and supplies against the Notice of Furnishing to see that subcontractors are getting paid.
- Upon getting the sworn statement, pay the contractor directly or, with five days written notice to the contractor, pay subcontractors, suppliers or laborers directly.
- When making a payment, ask for a Waiver of Lien.
For more information, visit Michigan’s Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth.
Source: Michigan Department of Consumer and Industry Services.