The Belleville Area Museum first opened at Old Quirk School in 1989, featuring small-scale replicas of historical buildings which once stood in Belleville, Sumpter, and Van Buren Townships. With visitors regularly promenading its “Main Street”, the Museum became a popular attraction.
In 1995, with Quirk School slated for demolition, Van Buren Township offered the use of its Old Township Hall on Belleville’s Main Street as the new site of the Museum. The Old Township Hall was constructed in 1875 and is a State of Michigan Registered Historic Site.
Van Buren Township undertook a major restoration of the Old Town Hall and in cooperation with the City of Belleville agreed to an arrangement to jointly fund the Museum program.
The Belleville Area Museum preserves and promotes the history of the community through the preservation and exhibit of historical artifacts and the presentation of historical programs and events.